“The ruins speak the History of India ”
Tughlaqabad Fort (Tughlaqabad Qila) is a ruined fort in Delhi, spread over 6 km. This site includes a royal tomb which once stood in a lake, palace buildings, dungeons and a secret escape route.
The fort is located on the Qutab-Badarpur Road and was built by Ghiyas-ud-Din Tughlaq, the founder of the Tughlaq dynasty, of the Delhi Sultanate of India in 1321. He established the third historic city of Delhi, which was later abandoned in 1327.
Ghazi Malik was a feudatory of the Khalji rulers of Delhi. Once while on a walk with his Khilji master, Ghazi Malik suggested that the king build a fort on a hillock in the southern portion of Delhi. The king jokingly told Ghazi Malik to build the fort himself when he would become king. In 1321 Ghazi Malik drove away the Khaljis and assumed the title of Ghias-ud-din Tughlaq and starting the Tughlaq dynasty. He immediately started the construction of his fabled city, which he dreamt of as an impregnable, yet beautiful fort to keep away the Mongol invaders.
Ghiyathu'd-Din's successor, Muhammad Tughluq (1325-51), added the small fortress of 'Adilabad on the hill south of Tughluqabad, with which it shares the main characteristics of construction. After for seven years Mohammad Bin Tughlak shifted the capital to Daulatbad, Devgiri, in Aurgangabad District of Deccan. Daulatabad had water scarcity and the people suffered severely, therefore he shifted the capital again to Delhi in 1334.
Curse of Nizamuddin Auliya
Ghias-ud-din is usually perceived as a liberal ruler. However, he was so passionate about his dream fort that he issued a dictate that all labourers in Delhi must work on his fort. Saint Nizamuddin Auliya, a Sufi mystic, got incensed as the work on his Baoli (well) was stopped. The confrontation between the Sufi saint and the royal emperor has become a legend in India. According to one of the most famous and attractive legends in Sultanate history, it was because of a curse from a revered Sufi saint Nizamuddin Auliya, the ill-fate occurred to the For.
It is said that the saint uttered a curse: Ya rahey ujjar, ya basey gujjar- "either remain inhabited or would live gujjars". So, after the fall of sultanate, Gujjars of the area captured the Qila and till date village Tughlakabad is situated in it.
The remains of this fort stretch as far as the eye can see, includes a royal tomb which once stood in a lake, palace buildings, dungeons and a secret escape route! This Fort stands more as a stronghold than an architectural enterprise. It is built with red sandstone and marble and is enclosed with high walls enclosing into the structure in the form of a pentagon.
It has an artificial reservoir and is connected to what once was the city of Tughlaqabad by a causeway, which is now interspersed with the Qutub-Badarpur Road.
Open: All Days, (5:30 am to 7:00 pm)
Entry Fee: Rs. 10/- for Indians and Rs. 100/- for foreigners